Sunday, October 18, 2009

Quoi de neuf...

What's new...

Where to start... I AM HAVING A TON OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Wow, Obama won a Nobel Peace prize, that's really bizarre. Almost unbelievable! Something is not right with that.

Well, I've gone to a French bible study and found it nice. They're trying to organize a bible study for the Chinese students which I think is incredibly awesome. Also, I participated in an Colombian art show opening in which I danced in group of about 8. We did two numbers, a meringue and combo (if I spelled them correctly). I was unable to take pictures or video of the actual performance because a member in the group was Muslim and with the knowledge that API will use the video and pictures I take and put them on Youtube would cause her many problems. That was very frustrating and a little depressing and caused me to reflect on a lot of things. However, we had fun, we did a good job and we have another show next month in which I plan on taking part of and hopefully I will be able to take video and stuff.

Last weekend I went to the city Annecy and it was a great time. The city is incredibly charming and gorgeous and on the particular day we went they had a parade with all the animals. I have pictures so enjoy them.

This week we start our 'examens blancs' or midterms but not really midterms. In all honesty I'm not sure if the grades will count towards us or not. The professors have said 'No' but you never know. I'm ready.

I enjoy being in situations where French is the only method of communication, aside from sign language. I especially love meeting French people who have tons of questions about America, English and more. It's cool, and sometimes not so cool, to here the views/thoughts/ideas of America. Last week I met Elodie, a young French woman (no surprise huh!) and when I told her I was from Texas she got excited like I get when people tell me they're from somewhere I like or wish to go. It was funny because I am not a big fan of Texas thanks to my mom. I blame her because she showed me the world. Elodie is friends with a guy name Jorice, Jorice and I have agreed to help each other with English and French respectively. We got together last week and it turned out to be fun and by the end of the meeting other people came and joined. We were discussing stereotypes that the French have of Americans and black men. Fun!

Also, last Wednesday the French Consular had a small party to welcome American students and I found it to be cool. I met a lot of people including a cool group of women who are all doing a Master's in business here. They're all from America. They were like a breath of fresh air with tons of laughter. I enjoyed their company and I hope we can all hang out and merge our groups together which I am sure will not happen. Which brings me to my next topic...


A problem that I am facing here (amongst many others) is American friends or non-American friends. It's absolutely necessary to have friends that are not from your country when you are in a foreign country with the purpose of learning a language. It's important, it's the only road to success. It's difficult trying to balance it all out and not get discourage. And sometimes when I try to introduce French (or Chinese, Colombian, Syrian, or whatever) friends to my American friends I'm more often than not met with resistance. However, this could really be my own subjectivity. However, I'm not the only one that has noticed it or commented on it. It frustrating at times for me because I never want to neglect anyone but whatever!

That's a small fraction of what's going on. Tell me how you guys are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment