Sunday, April 18, 2010

London: A place of possibilities?!?!


Have you ever grown up and lived in place where you could visibly see, taste, feel and understand that it wasn’t for you? Did you ever find yourself day dreaming about what else is out there? When you over hear converstaions from other people who have travelled internationally and come back with incredible memories, does a certain feeling/jolt/joy/aniticipation rise within you? This is me before I came to France and after I had random tastes of travels to foreign countries. This, and more, is why London and my time here in France have touched me so profoundly. As I have said to many people since I have been back as well as the quote from Ernest Hemingway about Paris, where ever I go for the rest of my life London and this time in France will always be with me. I know that Alicia et Jay-Z say that the lights in NY will inspire you but London has left a mark even a wound of inspiration. ‘La mixite sociale’ or multicultralism IS REMARKABLE!!!!! Never have I seen or been in a city where cultures get along so well. Sitting in the park with Lindsay and Tyler I was blessed to see, walking in front of us as Lindsay LOVES to sit in parks and people watch, people from all over the world with different tastes/religions/styles/experiences and more are peacefully getting along. Even, when we were out at night, it was the same story. And, interracial couples were everywhere that I looked and it was totally ok. Nobody cared. Nobody made insensitive remarks as the couples passed by. I saw fully veiled muslim women and girls and nobody, except for us or maybe me, looked twice. It was so beautiful because those women even added style to their veils. Incredible! How is it that this is happening there?
We had the privilege to see London with people who live there and I decided to take advantage and ask if it was real or not. It was real. The people there really LIVE comfortably with everyone else. Now, I am sure it is different outside of London but it exist somewhere and for me that is all that matters. Many questions came to mind as I saw this everyday. Why is it that we have these certain stereotypes? Cliches? False perceptions? And why is it that we feel it necessary to force them on others? There in London, it felt like those walls didn’t exist. In fact, to not be yourself there would mean to not be a Londoner. I love it and I loved it! I hear that NY is like this soo… I will find this out.
Our hostel where we stayed was cool, and low key. The weather was sunny and warm and if you know anything about London, that is rare! We rode double decker buses, such a great idea. The British accent is funny expecially when you don’t expect it. The food in England isn’t that good, which is why I might be skeptical to live there, but the fish & chips were alright. The Victoria & Albert musuem was fantastic a must see! It reminded me of the Louvre in Paris.
So, my last update was back in January, well tons of things have happened since then. I found out in London that the group that I dance with has been invited, expenses paid, to Italy for 2 days to give an performance! Awesome, right! So excited. This weekend I am going to Nice, St. Tropez and Eze, awesomeness. School is going well and almost over, SADNESS!  The weather is getting warmer. There are strikes going on which interrupts the trains and of course there is the problem with the volcano. I left London the day before the volcano erupted, thank God, but I have plently of friends who will be stuck in Spain or Ireland or Turkey or wherever for a week or more. Everything is great with the host family! And new experiences continue to happen !

No comments:

Post a Comment