Saturday, August 15, 2009

My first weekend...

Il est Americain


Tonight (Saturday night) was very interesting. We, (Alex, Anouck, & I) were invited to a Swiss BBQ, but it's called 'faire de grillade', by the neighbors and I thought what a great way to see Swiss people in a relaxed atmosphere. Relaxed it was! I've never been called 'les Americains' so many times. 'He's American', 'There's an American here' translated of course. What a different experience! Anouck asked me later about it and I said that I had mixed feelings. It gets annoying after a bit but I begin to understand the fascination, new experience, and maybe even pride that they were feeling because an American had come to experience Switzerland.

Though, the night also had it's cultural setbacks I missed a lot because I couldn't understand everything that was being said. Anouck and I spoke after the grillade and I came to find out that a particular woman had been speaking many generalizations all night. How did I miss that? What's interesting is that she has visited America something like 11 times. She commented on how loud Americans speak and on and on and on. She even said that only Americans would like a certain salad at the 'grillade' because all Americans had bad taste buds and eat only fast foods. Obviously I couldn't understand everything but sometimes I could translate a few sentences here and there. It's interesting because Anouck really was taken aback by her. She didn't agree and felt that she wasn't being forthcoming. However, another woman, Stephanie (she's the woman who officially welcomed me from using the 'vous' form to the 'tu' form at the grillade and in the short video. In essence, we became friends thus leading to me speaking informally with her) had never lived in America but she had interesting things to say to me. Her comments were always followed by 'this is my opinion'. From body language and the beautiful way she played with her kids and spoke philosophically with us revealed to me that she seemed to want to understand people. It also seemed to me that she sought to progress beyond generalizations and see personality, culture, situations and simple common sense play as factors. However, there are some true generalizations such as: Large percentage of Americans traveling to foreign countries without caring to even learn the language and just expecting the natives to know English. Superpower syndrome! All that to say, 'So it begins!' Living within this intricate world of being a foreigner for the first time and being a black American in Europe. But, I had tons of fun at the grillade I wish there would be another before I leave. And, I was welcomed back and kissed good-bye which is a GREAT sign! So that's my first experience of being in a conversation like that about me.

Also, I have been getting a lot my stares which is only natural. If it keeps happening I might just ask them if they want an autograph and tell them that yes I am Denzel Washington's son!! ;)

Swiss humility
We also spoke about something else that was very interesting to me. Swiss humility, maybe. Stephanie, a paramedic, was told by Anouck that she is a vital part of the lives of us all. Stephanie did not think so. In fact, the expression that was used was...''Les cimetieres sont remplis de gens indispensables". It's translated as "The cemetery is full of people who are essential/indispensable"! The point is that if they were (if we are) essential or indispensable why are they dead?

It's a very interesting truth to understand that you and I can be replaced by someone else. Life goes on. I think of Beyonce's song, 'You must not know 'bout me, You must not know 'bout! I can have another man in a minute matter of fact he'll be here any second' something like that, yes? Thanks Beyonce! Some sweet Swiss food for thought.

My French

My French is getting better with every conversation that I have. Certain someones seem to think that I am doing super, perfect but I don't know. Conversation by conversation I hear, I see, I understand, and I feel the pieces coming together within this language. I love it. I've been able to carry on conversations in French and sound somewhat intelligent.

Pictures from this weekend:
Creux du Van, grillade et Beau-rivage Palace

2 comments:

  1. Go Terrell!!! This is great!
    I'm proud and watching wishing I was there. Elisa told me you and Lanese had dinner with her and Jennifer. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that everything is going so well! I wish you tons of fun and many inspiring experiences. I know what you felt like when they said: "He's American! / Oh, this is the American guy!" I was in some same situations when I visited the USA ("Oh look, she is German!") ;-)

    ReplyDelete