Friday, August 28, 2009

The Portuguese Farmer and L'Imprevu

The Portuguese farmer



A day begun in spiral dizziness and mellowing out with somber photos and thoughts of 'what ifs' maintained by uncommonly generosity finishing with a 'panachee comraderie'. Thursday was a day like none other here in Lausanne.

The hot water wasn't working so I woke up several times to the sultry and smooth sounds of compressor's, men working, a cat purring, and the buzz in the air saying "What a day, what a day this will be!" As the hours went on, Buster the cat, made his greatest escape however, the sweet taste of freedom was too much for Buster to handle. Upon his return, the neighbor Joseane tried to catch Buster but unfortunately she wasn't able to. Buster was so excited and probably felt proud to be out and roaming that he decided to defend himself from Joseane. Yes, he scratched her real good so good (or bad, you know what I mean) that the other neighbor thought he might have hit her vein. Anouck was also struck by Buster in the attempt to capture him. Ouch! So blood is everywhere, oil is on the floor at home, the weather is nice, no hot water to take a shower, everyone is nervous and frustrated with wishes for the end of the day to draw near. However, that's not all!

After a hospital visit, success in fixing the hot water problem, a visit to the Photography Museum, and ice cream at the Olympic Museum the day still has one big surprise! As I came home Anouck was leaving for a walk and I decided to join. She was headed to her garden (I do have pictures). On the way, we saw kids taunting a pit bull, people doing their grocery shopping, tons of Suisse potatoes, beautiful vegetables, beautiful flowers, and a beautiful 'almost' sunset but it wasn't over. As we headed back home we walked past a field where a strange noise came from. We wondered what it was and so we asked, the Portuguese farmer who had driven up, what was that.

Sheep! Wow! I have never seen sheep before. Sheep in the city. Two of them (yes I have pictures). He also had 6 chickens and an amazing vegetable garden, grape garden, and colorful flowers that would bring a smile to most women. I have pictures of everything! From the moment we saw the sheep til we left it was like being transported to another dimension. The world of 'Garden people'! He gave us two lettuces, an onion (from Portugal), a cucumber, basil, two fennel, and some flowers for Anouck, and an awesome experience with many stories! I haven't said his name because he didn't give it to me though he gave it to Anouck which is something new that I have learned here in Switzerland. Apparently, any that is older reserves the right to withhold their first name and even their entire name unless you're well acquainted with one another. But, I felt after he invited us into his garden, told us stories, and gave generously that it would constitute him giving me his name but he didn't. In fact, before we arrived at Carlos's (the Portuguese farmer) garden we were at the other garden and met a fellow farmer who gave me only his last name. Interesting! Getting back to the story, our spirits were lifted, Anouck even said that she had forgotten about everything earlier that day. It was a great and refreshing moment! That night we went and had a beer and ice cream with hopes of winding down.


L'Imprevu

Continuing with the previous story, L'imprevu allowed us to be open to the 'sound that started it all'. We talked about this later that night or the next day, I can't remember now because I typing on Saturday night here :), that staying open to L'Imprevu or whatever you want to call it, allowed us to continue to enjoy the day and see beauty no matter what the circumstances. I believe it. I live it. Having L'Imprevu in your daily routine is a must!

I learn of this at a most opportune time. I learn of this at a time when I will need to be open to L'Imprevu (or new things, or new opportunites, or the unexpected, or life, or your attitude) as I begin to really submerge myself into a new world, a foreign world where being ready for new challenges is vital.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having an amazing experience thus far - we are all enjoying reading/living vicariously through your updates!

    ReplyDelete